OSC involvement and relationship with Architects and Specifiers is fundamental as it is only with their support that we can put forward successful proposals to the Client themselves. We aim to interpret the plans and aspirations of all parties and find common ground where we can offer the most appropriate furniture for a project.
In our projects to date, we have found positive and inclusive ways forward by offering Architects and Specifiers a mix of our standard manufactured product combined with bespoke designs to suit the overall demands of the project and also furniture sourced from other manufacturers.
We would like to highlight some architectural practices with whom we have worked with for some of our major projects.
Hawkins\Brown, a London based practice, was appointed by the University of Oxford to masterplan the core of the Science Area looking at creating new pedestrian friendly spaces, resolving servicing and parking and establishing the envelope for new science buildings.
Hawkins\Brown was awarded a RIBA award for this building, with their brief to design and construct the first phases of the development - an innovative, research based building.
Hawkins\Brown have been instrumental in the development of OSC having worked with us at both the Biochemistry Department and Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour at the University of Oxford, as major projects and several other smaller projects. This has included the development of some key products including the Dura outside seating range.
" OSC (Allitec) worked closely with Hawkins\Brown to generate innovative ideas for bespoke furniture solutions for both the offices and meeting rooms".
Morag Morrison Associate Director Hawkins\Brown
Department of New Biochemistry - University of Oxford
Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour - University of Oxford
Very specialist optic and fly labs were designed by Hawkins\Brown to allow for electrophysiological and optical techniques to be used in examining the structure and function of the nervous system.
In contrast to the clinical lab areas, a separate floor of write-up, seminar and office space was designed using natural materials and colours.
The existing 1970s building was stripped back to its concrete core and majorly upgraded with a new insulated roof, wall linings and curtain walling system and new sustainably designed services, improving its energy performance by 63% and achieving BREEAM Very Good.
Purcell was formed in 1947 and are a multi-location practice with over 200 people. Their expertise is particularly formed around restorative work and the Radcliffe Infirmary made Purcell a good choice for this demanding building.
Purcell completed a Conservation Plan for the full 14.1 acre site, called the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter (ROQ), which informed a masterplan. Various architects were consulted to design the different buildings which are to be constructed on the site and Purcell was appointed to restore, renovate and refurbish the 1770 Radcliffe Infirmary and transform it from Oxford’s first hospital into the representative building of the new expansion space for the collegiate University.
The design kept the fit-out of a rather rigid plan as flexible and reversible as possible to accept further changes of use and to introduce modern services. The original floor structure was reinforced and most of the roof structure was inspected, treated and maintained. The original internal plasterwork was consolidated and retained behind modern accessible ceilings and many of of the original sash windows were retained and refurbished.
Since opening the refurbished Infirmary, now Radcliffe Humanities, has received numerous praises from its users and from the Oxford Preservation Trust.